Let’s take a quick look at the benefits your brand can get by using some of the trends:
- Reinforcing the message about the quality of the product/service your company provides. With great contemporary design, you demonstrate your comprehensive attention to detail. This level of conscientiousness is something your prospects hope to get from the company they choose.
- Being in tune with the times you (and your customers) live in gives you a more noticeable position among the competitors. This is especially vital for businesses with high levels of competition.
- Speaking with your customers in the visual language of the age means being relevant to their needs. In this way, you can boost the engagement of your audience.
Explore Our Top 3 Design Tips to Stay Trendy
Being trendy means being in tune with the times. If you have picked up on a certain trend because it already seems to be everywhere, you are a bit late!
Spotting those ideas that are about to take the world by storm requires unfaltering attention to the sources of amazing designs.
After all, you’d like to be ahead of the game among your competitors, right?
These top 3 tips will help you get graphic design inspiration.
- Follow the changes in video and graphic content surrounding you. Pay special attention to the design approaches taken by top international brands like Apple, Amazon, Nike. They are usually the ones who both follow the latest graphic ideas and create the new ones. Music, film, and fashion industries join the list of sources as well.
- Get inspired by the top design platforms like Behance or Dribble that keep their fingers on the pulse of the design world. Surfing through Pinterest won’t hurt either. You can find more sources of inspiration and hints on the latest design ideas on the social media pages of your favorite studios or even enviable competitors.
- Communicate with professionals to get a feel for the graphic design ideas that are about to take the stage. Regular visits to design and marketing events will expose you to a broader range of concepts as well as giving you access to the network of design gurus.
Discover 19 Cool Graphic Design Ideas
What has previously been associated with horror movies and slow computers has become an ultra-popular design trend of 2018.
The effect of seemingly accidental digital interference in a static image creates an impression of movement.
This effect is loved by designers working with the film and fashion industries.
Destruction as an artistic method is nothing new. However, it has become a real trend in graphic design of 2018.
The “Ruined” effect makes initially impeccable images look as if they were torn, broken, scratched, shriveled, or cracked.
This effect is highly emotionally engaging as it reminds viewers of the inevitable changes brought by time.
3. Color Channels
Discover design trend that plays with our perception of reality is the “color channels” effect or the color shift effect.
The overlaid RGB and CMYK color channels with levels of transparency give the viewer a sense of illusion.
Being a cocktail of a hologram and hallucination, these images catch people’s attention and evoke emotions.
4. Double Exposure
The double exposure effect has been used by designers previously, but it is enjoying renewed popularity in 2018.
The soft blend of two images turns the design into a small puzzle or a story that takes time to unfold.
It does a great job of grabbing the viewer’s attention and holding it for quite a while. It’s no surprise the intriguing effect is currently especially widespread.
5. Double Exposure Duotone
Here’s another graphic design trend experiencing a resurgence with a modern twist.
The double exposure duotone effect unites engaging double exposure, vivid duotone, and illusionary color channels.
As a result, we get a mesmerizing image that seems to be on the verge of movement.
6. Double Light
The “double” trends in 2018 include the double light effect.
It provides a dramatic colorful background for the centerpiece of a composition, thus giving it a modern twist.
To create this effect, you can either use different sources of light when taking a photograph or split the color channels.
7. Creative Typography
Having gained popularity for a few years now, creative typography is currently one of the hottest industry trends.
It takes font into the field of creativity and turns it into something self-sufficient that can either be combined with other design elements or used on its own.
Liquid typography, 3D typography, sliced or disjointed text — the only limit is your imagination.
8. Cropped Typography
The cropped typography trend, which emerged in 2017, continues to fascinate audiences in 2018.
Erasing parts of letters while keeping them readable is a game that seems to excite designers and viewers alike.
9. Chaotic Typography
Instead, the chaotic dance of typography teases and excites interest. It can make the most static design element as dynamic as it can be.
10. Integrated Typography
Another trendy approach to typography is turning it into a real-life element of composition.
Letters and numbers are no longer overshadowed by other design elements.
11. Negative Space Designs
With the love of today’s audience for visually satisfying and equivocal images, negative space designs have become one of the hottest trends of 2018.
12. Negative Space Typography
Of course, the negative space design extended to typography as well.
With the help of photo masking, background images are brought into the limelight as if looking at us though type-shaped windows.
This effect has been used practically everywhere, from packaging to fashion and the web.
13. Colorful 3D Substance
“The brighter, the better” seems to be the slogan of 2018 design trends.
And what can make an image pop more than the combination of an artful 3D image with intricate texture and vibrant, almost mouthwatering colors?
These complex 3D objects make the viewer want to look at them endlessly!
14. One-Color 3D Design
Another way to effectively combine three-dimensional concepts and bright color is creating a one-color 3D design.
This design technique is relatable to the systematic color trend, which is also popular in 2018.
15. Metallic Elements
Despite its attention-grabbing nature, the realistic metallic effect is combined effectively with other bright color ideas, 3D art, and creative typography.
Solid colors for flat UI must now give way to colorful gradients.
This is just further proof that the graphical scene of 2018 is all about bright colors!
Vibrant gradients not only allure viewers with their seamless color transitions, but also add some movement to the design.
Instagram’s specialists must have known something about the future when they redesigned their logo into a multicolored gradient back in 2016.
17. Hand-Drawn Illustrations
Illustrators won’t have to procrastinate in 2018, because hand-drawn illustrations are still trending.
In 2018, they are actively combined with other trending styles such as 3D composition, negative space, the “double” effects, etc.
18. Illustrations Over Photos
2018 is indeed a year of combining techniques that were popular earlier.
Thanks to apps like Adobe Draw and Procreate, you can play with this trend and apply it to your material with ease.
19. Papercut Illustrations
Modern art concepts often provide fertile soil for graphic design evolution.
This is the case with the art of paper cutting, which gave birth to papercut illustrations.
Replicating the multi-layered compositions of papercut designs, these illustrations delight with their depth and their warm paper-like textures.
Keep it Simple: 4 Basic Principles of Graphic Design
There is a fine line between trendy and cheesy. The ability to discern between the two defines you as a professional.
To nurture the intuitive combination of classics and trends, never forget the 4 basic principles of graphic design, especially when trying out the newest ideas:
- A maximum of 5 colors. A 2- to 3-color palette is ideal.
- A maximum of 3 fonts. Using one font family is also a good choice.
- Visual Hierarchy. Underline the importance of one object over another by using color and size.
- Whitespace. Balance out the design elements with white space for a more professional look and better readability.
The year of 2018 in design is the year of images that make you stop and dive deep into them.
The brightest trends from leading graphic designers destroy and distort our conventional perceptions of graphic design.
They provide a new vibrant and stunningly realistic approach to images, typography, and composition.
And finally, they incorporate the timeless value of drawing, which is at the heart of graphic design.
Indeed, 2018 is the year of trends that stretch the limits of creativity.
Get inspiration and tips from our blog on a regular basis.
Subscribe to our newsletter now!